Define your purpose
The first step you should take is to think about the purpose of your college term paper. Do you have to persuade people to believe as you do, to educate someone about an event, idea or item, or explain how to do a particular task? Your topic has to fit the purpose.
Brainstorm subjects of interest
Once you determine the purpose of your paper, write a list of the topics in which you are interested. If they don’t come to mind, look around you. Is there anything interesting in your surroundings? Watch both local and national news. Is there a topic that needs explaining or that can be easily debated from various viewpoints? Think what issues or activities occupy most of your time. This might be a good topic. Write down the ideas that spring to your mind and reflect on them.
Examine potential topics
When you generate several appropriate areas, consider each one individually. Think of how you feel about the topic. Of course, the most important factor in selecting an issue is the number of ideas you have about it or can discover.
Here is a list of examples:
- What are the long-term effects of living in a technological world?
- What is the most important technology for solving world problems?
- Will governments like China continue to be able to control citizens’ access to the Internet and social media?
- How do social media, texting, cell phones, and the Internet make the world bigger?
- What are new ways people can use technology to change the world?
- Should the United States raise the minimum wage for workers?
- How can cities in the U.S. be better designed to create a safer and more economically productive community?
- Is the U.S. economy becoming stronger or weaker?
- Does better health care for everyone make a better and stronger economy in the U.S.?
- What is the best way to create new jobs in the United States to get people back to work?
- Are we heading towards a third World War?
- Is N.A.T.O. an effective organization?
- What is the effect on Africa from the fact that many children have been forced to be soldiers?
- Is violence along the border of Mexico getting better?
- How can ethnic killings be stopped in Sudan?
- Should college football players receive a salary or other compensation for their playing?
- Is it worth it for a city to invest in building a bigger and better stadium for their professional sports team?
- What is the difference between sports and entertainment?
- Which is more interesting to watch: college or professional sports?
- What sports should be taken out or added to the Olympic games?
Media and Culture
- How has Twitter changed entertainment news?
- Are female stars fighting back effectively against being judged by their looks?
- How have shows like “Project Runway” influenced fashion?
- Are the recent Christian movies helping win the culture wars?
- Why are cooking shows like “Chopped” popular?
- Are E-Cigarettes less harmful than smoking?
- Does spending time on media cause children to have mental health problems?
- Is it possible to get AIDS infection rates to zero?
- What are the current trends in research about helping people break out of addictive behaviors?
- What is the benefit of taking a daily low dose of aspirin for older people?
Even if none of the subjects you thought of seem particularly appealing, try to choose one to work with. It may turn out to be a good topic for your term paper. Avoid choosing a subject that is too general. You may need to narrow it for the scope of your discussion.
When you determined that your topic is suitable, you may move on and start writing your best term paper. Of course, writing papers is a demanding and complex task. You have to spend much time and effort to have good results.
If you are short of time, you can turn to qualified writers for help. You will be surprised by the benefits in using EssayShark.com. You can choose the writer based on the best possible price, view the progress of your order, and offer suggestions to your writer through the online chat feature.