Scary Halloween stories are not only about ghosts, vampires, monstrous zombies, spiders and webs in old uncouth castles, traditional mystical mirrors, bloody pumpkins and cruel murders, etc. They are also about the writing process and techniques of creating terrifying tales. One is required to know how to write a scary story to frighten the audience to death. There are no strict rules or a particular formula for writing this kind of composition. You should simply improvise. People like fear, so do your best to scare them.
No matter whether you are required to write a scary story for a literature course, or are getting ready for a Halloween party, here is a list of helpful tips tips you can use. And they are not only about a dark basement and hidden rooms and everything connected with them – leave these cliches aside.
Secrets of Impressive and Scary Halloween Stories
- The first tip to take into consideration is to follow the writing manner of your favorite horror writer. At the same time, you will be able to express your own personality and voice.
- Introduce your characters and the place where events are going to happen.
- Try to avoid common cliches – they are a sign of a writer’s laziness and negligence. Come face-to-face with your writing and ideas. Create your story without any bats, attics and traditional ghosts.
- Let readers be afraid on their own by putting scary ideas in their heads and creating suspense. The best way to do this is to remember a fear from your experience and add several dramatic details.
- Keep track of your heroes and make sure their appearance is necessary in the story. Do not forget to tell the future of an old man which was seen on the dark by-street on the third page of your narration.
- Make your story unpredictable, but define its main conflict and make it super frightening.
- Hide the thougths of your characters to keep the suspense.
- Do not use complex language much, as it can make readers bored.
- Use as much details as it is possible – they are the main essence of a scary story.
- Forget about a happy end in your scary Halloween stories – finish them with a scary, horrifying, chilling and macabre end!
We won’t tell you about all these boring proofreadings and endless revisions. This is your Halloween and only you can decide how to write a scary story to impress your readers and make them shake with fear. Use all your imagination, wait for inspiration and concentrate on writing. You can watch several scary movies before writing to get some frightening ideas and use them in your own manner. Even now you are scared of failing with your story. Remember this feeling for future descriptions in scary Halloween stories.
Scary Phrases to Use in Your Halloween Stories
Do you imagine a scared person? Wide open eyes, uneven breath, raised eyebrows, rapid pulse, etc. To enhance these emotions you can use the following “fear” phrases:
- Make your blood run cold
- Have goosebumps
- Smell a rat
- Bated breath
- Hold one’s breath
- Afraid of one’s own shadow
- A bloodcurdling scream
- Like a bat out of hell
- The witching hour
- The heebie-jeebies
- Scare the life out of me
- A Jekyll and Hyde personality
- It makes my skin crawl
Have a scary and a cloak-and-dagger Halloween! Make people tremble from fear when reading your scary Halloween stories.