When you are asked to write a compare and contrast essay on ANY topic you want, it may sound fascinating and terrific at the same time. Maybe you thought that it will be easy to pick a topic on your own, but the reality is that you can find yourself sitting with a blank paper for several hours. In this article we have gathered a list of easy compare and contrast essay topics that may serve as a basic idea to your compare and contrast paper.
If you were asked to compare two characters or two books and you don’t know what topic to choose, look through our good compare and contrast essay topics about literature and start with listing obvious characteristics of heroes: age, appearance, origin, education, social status, material wealth, etc.
In the introduction to the compare and contrast essay it is necessary to determine the object of comparison. For example, if you are going to compare characters from a book, you should consider not only book heroes, but also the author’s intention and context of the book. The main part of the literature compare and contrast essay is a parallel comparison of actions and behaviors of heroes in similar situations or for the same reasons. In the conclusion you should sum up characteristics that you have compared and an analysis of these characteristics.
In this unique list of compare and contrast essay topics you can choose one for your own writing. We have picked the topics for literature, history, brands, personalities, psychology, and health. If you want to be sure that you have a unique topic for your essay, you can look through the overall directions of our topics and search for more information on the internet.
Literature Topics for a Compare and Contrast Essay
- Compare main themes of two books by Mark Twain: “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.”
- Find differences and similarities of these three characters: Peter Pan, Oliver Twist, and Tom Sawyer.
- Find differences and similarities between the movie and book titled “Fight Club.”
- Compare the main characters of two books: “Robinson Crusoe” by Defo and “Gulliver’s Travels” by Swift.
- Find differences and similarities of characters: Raskolnikov and Sonya in the novel “Crime and Punishment.”
- Compare the main characters of two books: Mr. Rochester (“Jane Eyre”) and Mr. Darcy (“Pride and Prejudice”).
- Find similar lines in the plots of two books: “Fifty Shades of Grey” and “Twilight.”
- Find similarities and differences among characters of “The Lord of Flies” and “Hunger Games.”
- Compare characteristics of main characters from “Portrait of Dorian Grey” and “Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.”
- Find similarities and differences in main themes of “Martin Eden” and “The Great Gatsby.”
History Topics for a Compare and Contrast Essay
- Compare religious beliefs of Greeks and Egyptians.
- Comparative analysis of monarchy in Scandinavian countries.
- Compare the codes of Hammurabi and Manu.
- Compare historical concepts of Kant and Schiller.
- Find similarities and differences of Ancient Greek and Ancient Roman deities.
- Compare the geography of Egypt and Mesopotamia.
- Comparative analysis of Christianity and Judaism.
- Analyze the ethics of Protestantism and ethics of the Old Believers.
- Comparative analysis of US and Soviet economic policy of 1947-1973.
- Comparative analysis of the culture of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.
Brand Topics for a Compare and Contrast Essay
- Compare the brands of Apple and Xiomi.
- Find distinctive characteristics of Domino’s Pizza and Pizza Hut.
- Compare AirPods and Beats headphones.
- Describe similarities between Marvel and DC Comics characters.
- Find similarities between characters and episodes in Star Trek and Star Wars.
- Describe differences of these brands: Timberland and Caterpillar.
- Describe differences of these brands: Lush and Body Shop.
- Describe what similar problems H&M and Zara have.
- Compare Suzuki and Harley Davidson motorcycles.
- Find the similarities and differences of Netflix and Hulu.
Personality Topics for a Compare and Contrast Essay
- Who has had more influence on society, Jony Ive or Paul McCartney?
- Which of your parents had more influence on you in your childhood: your mother or father?
- Does Hans Zimmer belong in the same category as Mozart?
- What similarities exist between Oedipus and Darth Vader?
- What differences and similarities exist between Elon Musk and Iron Man?
- What historical similarities exist between Dr. House and Thomas Bolty?
- What historical similarities exist between Sherlock Holmes and Josef Bell?
- How can Adolf Hitler be related to Mahatma Gandhi?
- Compare and contrast the activities of Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi.
- What similarities and differences exist between Tokugawa Ieyasu (samurai) and Richard the Lionheart (knight)?
Health and Psychology Topics for a Compare and Contrast Essay
- Differences and similarities of smoking and vaping.
- Differences and similarities of psychological development of children from families and orphanages.
- Differences and similarities of self-evaluation of preschoolers and teenagers.
- Describe differences and similarities of eastern and western diagnostics methods.
- Describe differences and similarities about the image of family in mass media and real life.
- Compare the psychological theory of J. Watson and the theory of B. Skinner.
- Difference between a person with autism and Down syndrome.
- Compare and contrast the characteristics of the bipolar I and II disorder.
- Compare and contrast the tendency of alcoholism among men and women.
- Difference and similarities between suicide and homicide.