Of course, your instructors say writing essays is an easy task, but that does not mean that you are a dummy if they are difficult for you. And it does not mean you are a dummy if it is difficult for you to cope with this type of assignment. Not every person is a guru in writing and can compete with Ernest Hemingway. If writing is not your strong point, you can still practice several helpful techniques that will make the writing process easier. The bad news is the amount of writing assignments in colleges and universities – they make up a large portion of your academic assignments. By following our “Writing Essays for Dummies” guide, you will improve your writing skills and increase your grades.
We’ve prepared an easy-to-read guide for you, showing how to write a short essay with minimum experience and practice in this sphere. Do not loose your faith in the success of your paper – we will definitely help you tackle this obstruction.
- Start with research. If you do not have enough time for brainstorming, skip this step and start looking for useful information on the Internet. Find a topic you are really interested in and try become confident in being able to discuss it easily. When it comes to writing, try to choose as narrow topic as it is possible to make your writing process enjoyable.
- Gather all data available. Highlight the most important points and arguments to use in your paper.
- Write an outline. This is one of the most important points as you create the structure of your future paper and think over its main ideas to present. 3-5 main arguments will be enough to decide how to write a short essay according to your instructors’ requirements. The same thing is with evidence – choose 2-3 points to support your arguments.
- Prepare the first draft of your essay. Always keep the interests and expectations of your readers when writing. You know your instructor better than anyone else. Write using his/her phrases, style of writing, ideas to support, etc. Each paragraph should be dedicated to one separate idea and have arguments to support it.
- Revise the paper to make sure your ideas sound logical and coherent. Proofread it or ask your friends to do this for you. If you are interested in writing essays for dummies, it will be tough for you to edit the paper correctly following all academic writing rules, therefore do not hesitate to request help.
- Pay attention to the introduction and conclusion. If you are attentive enough, you will have notice the absence of information in these sections, if you have this problem. Write them when the whole paper is ready. They usually express the same idea from different viewpoints and have separate purposes.
Writing Essays for Dummies: Helpful Advice to Consider
What is the first thing you do when you write? You think about a topic to discuss.You have random ideas and cannot focus on the purpose of your paper. You know the theory, but it is difficult to use this knowledge in practice. We’ve gathered several helpful tips from former students to make your writing easier and more enjoyable.
- “I start getting ready to write my paper in a traditional way – I find informative sources, think over the topic and arguments to present. I do this for several days and start on the last night before the paper is due, when the information is analyzed and chewed over. The only method that works for me is a strict time limit and the absence of opportunity to leave an essay for tomorrow.”
- “I use an eccentric method. Instead of spending long and boring hours worrying about how to write a short essay, I search for challenging ideas in free essay samples on the Internet, paraphrase them in my own words and write a logical paper.”
- “I copy-paste all ideas I find useful, relevant and appropriate to support my point of view. Then I set them in a logical order and start writing my own arguments.”